Learn to make perfect chocolate dipped strawberries at home for Valentine’s Day (or any other day). Easy and beautiful and beginner friendly
- One Pint of Fresh Strawberries
- 8 oz Ghirardelli Dark and 4 oz White chocolate melts
- Valentine Assorted Sprinkles or sanding sugar if desired
- Non flavored vegetable oil. My favorite is Grapeseed but you can use coconut oil.
- Rinse and dry strawberries
- Melt the Dark Chocolate according to package directions. I recommend the simplicity of a chocolate melting pot but you can use a double boiler or microwave.
- Add splash of vegetable oil to the chocolate as it melts, and stir in thoroughly. Only add a little at a time to thin the chocolate enough to better behave when dipping the strawberries.
- Dip each strawberry into the dark chocolate and place on the prepared sheet pan with parchment paper to dry for at least an hour.
- When strawberries are dry from the first dip, melt the white chocolate. Put melted white chocolate into a small piping bag fitted with a #2 tip. In a smooth motion, move the tip left and right over the top of the strawberry and gently squeeze from the top of the bag to release white chocolate.
- Allow berries a couple of hours to dry once the second coat has been added.
Special tools and equipment:
You will definitely want to line a heavy half sheet pan with parchment paper. The wet chocolate will not stick to the parchment as it dries. Parchment paper is sold in rolls and in flat precut sheets. I prefer the precut sheets because they lay perfectly flat. (affiliate link)
Anytime I share a recipe that uses melted chocolate (which is frequently) I melt my chocolate in something called a chocolate pot. (affiliate link) It’s pretty much set it and forget it. I purchased mine pretty close to 20 years ago, and while they don’t have that version anymore, there are other models available. They are sold as pots to melt candy melts but they work great with the chocolate wafers I use.
I used a light weight piping bag (affiliate link) with a #2 piping tip to pip the white chocolate “lace” onto the dipped strawberries. You can do this however you prefer, but I think this method gives the nicest result. The bags and tip can be used with royal icing for decorated cookies, so they won’t go to waste.
For the chocolate coating, you can use candy melts, but I don’t care for the flavor of them on my fresh fruit. I strongly recommend Ghirardelli chocolate melts, because they work so well. Chocolate chips are not designed to melt, though we’ve all done it. It’s not the best result, however. The wafers are made for melting and they give beautiful results and rich, chocolate flavor. You can use what you like, but the Ghirardelli are honestly the only thing I use when I make anything that uses melted chocolate.
Keywords: Valentine Chocolate Dipped Strawberries