Learn an easy method to bake a heart shaped cake
For the Cake:
- Cake mix of your choosing
- 3 eggs
- Melted butter of non flavored oil of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or special flavored extract of your choosing)
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2 tsp of flavoring of your choosing
- 2 –3 tbs heavy cream or milk to thin frosting the desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Prepare cake pan
- Mix cake mix according to directions.
- If using the Wilton Heart Shaped Pan, put all of the cake mix or batter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 – 42 minutes or until middle of cake springs back. Start checking at 35 minutes for doneness. Because there is so much batter in the pan, you’ll have to bake a little longer than if the batter was spilt up in 2 or 3 pans.
- Once baked, cool in the pan for 5 minutes then pop out of pan and place onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
While cake is cooling, mix the frosting
- Whip the butter using a paddle attachment until white and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add flavoring about halfway into beating the butter.
- In 2 additions, add sifted powdered sugar. Mix on Medium until well incorporated.
- Add milk or cream until frosting is desired consistency adding a tbs at a time.
Cake mixes are written with pretty specific mixing instructions. So follow those instructions for the best result. Personally, I recommend putting the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl first and combine them well before adding the cake mix.I find it’s better mixed that way.
The mixture will look slightly curdled, but that will remedy itself once the dry ingredients are added.
Once the dry ingredients are added, follow the mixing instructions exactly. Set a timer! You’re mixing on low speed for 30 seconds and 2 minutes on medium. Don’t over mix and don’t run the mixer on high. It’s a Goldilocks thing here.
You’ll be rewarded with a lovely, thick cake batter. Remember to test doneness with the spring back method and not the tooth pick version. The cake will continue to bake in the pan when it’s out of the oven. And we don’t want to over bake the cake.
Keywords: heart shaped cake