A recipe for a classic Bundt® cake with lemon glaze is a simple yet elegant cake that’s full of sweet-tart lemon flavor – perfect for any special occasion!
- 3/4 cup (181g) softened butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup(136g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) caster sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract (really any extract you like)
- 2.5 cups (300g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (63g) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups (200g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) melted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
** If you want a different flavor for the glaze, add up to 1 teaspoon of your favorite extract and increase milk to 3 tablespoons. A little more a little less to get it to the proper consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Carefully grease and flour a 10-cup Bundt® pan (be sure to tap/shake out excess flour). Finish with a touch of Baker’s Joy with flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar beating on medium-speed until well-combined and batter is lightened in color.
- Add eggs, one at a time, combining thoroughly after each addition (about 10 seconds on medium-speed after each addition). Scrape down the bowl and stir in vanilla extract. Mixture should be very smooth, light, and creamy.
- Using a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With mixer on low-speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk mixture to the wet ingredients, starting and ending with the flour mixture (Add the flour in 3 separate additions and the milk in 2).
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake on 350ºF (175ºC) for 45-55 minutes or when a knife inserted in the thick part of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. If you have a lighter-colored bundt pan, it may take longer in the oven.
- Allow to cool for 15-30 minutes then carefully invert onto cooling rack to cool completely before covering with glaze. You can use a spatula to gently loosen the cake from the sides as an added measure.
Whisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, and lemon juice. Add milk, one tablespoon at a time, until consistency is thin enough that it falls in ribbons off of whisk but holds its shape for several seconds before melting back into the bowl.
Drizzle over cooled cake, allowing glaze to set for 30-60 minutes.
I highly recommend switching to caster sugar for ALL your cakes and cookies. It’s a superfine sugar and melts more completely during the creaming process. The texture of your baked goods will improve tremendously just by making this simple change.
Keywords: lemon bundt cake