Delicious Vegan Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies for everybody
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) coconut oil (the kind that is solid at room temps)
- 1 1/4 cups (265 grams) dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/4 cups (270 grams) all purpose flour (don’t pack this)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups (255 grams) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the first 3 ingredients using a paddle attachment. Cream until fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the next 2 wet ingredients and whisk gently until fully incorporated. Set aside the wet mixture.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Use a light hand. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. The edges will be golden and the center set. Cool the cookies on a baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to a cool rack.
- This is a delicate recipe, so giving the cookie time to cool and set up is important. I found they achieved their best texture when I allowed them to sit overnight. Though it’s really hard to not gobble them all up while they are still warm from the oven. I suggest making a double batch so you actually have some for the next day when the texture is perfect.
- To keep the recipe fully vegan, you do need to use vegan chocolate and sugar. I personally used a mix of milk and dark chocolate chips from Guittard for my version of the cookies. I am not vegan, because I could never give up butter or cream, but subbing coconut oil here and there is something I can do. Again, many thanks to Ashley from Baker By Nature for inspiring me to give this a try!
Keywords: vegan soft chocolate chip cookies