Fancy Rice Krispie Treats
This post has affiliate links to products I use and love. If you buy something I can make a small commission, so thanks in advance. 🙂
Mini marshmallows, butter, clear vanilla extract, white chocolate drizzle and plenty of sprinkles. That’s how I make my Fancy Rice Krispie Treats, and I think you’ll love this “extra” twist on a classic treat!
We don’t think of Rice krispie treats as being especially fancy. Let’s be real. Kid friendly treats are not fancy. But there is something comforting about enjoying childhood favorites in adulthood. A few choice add ins and we can elevate a 2nd grader’s favorite snack to a surprisingly delicious treat to be tucked into any grown up lunch box. Say hello to FANCY rice krispie treats.
Ingredients for Fancy Rice Krispie Treats:
- Salted Butter: since there is so much sweet in this treat, the salted butter balances beautifully with the sugar
- Mini Marshmallows: I actually love my store brand from Wegmans the best
- Clear Vanilla: It doesn’t add color to the treat, and that cake mix reminiscent flavor of clear vanilla is delicious in this recipe. But you can use whatever vanilla you have.
- Frosted Rice Krispies: Since this is a little bit fancy, I wanted the cereal to be a little bit fancy, too.
- Colorful Sprinkles: I use only the rainbow Jimmies from Wilton when I add sprinkles to cakes or cupcakes or anything “wet” like this mixture. They hold their color and they don’t run.
- White Chocolate Melts: Ghirardelli chocolate melts are my favorite to use anytime I’m going to make a chocolate drizzle. I add just a touch or either grapeseed or coconut oil while it’s melting in my chocolate pot to thin it out a bit for a better drizzle consistency.
Tips and tricks for the best results:
- Don’t try to make these in a hurry. Low and slow is your friend when turning on the stove. Melting marshmallows too fast over high heat will leave you with rock hard results, and not exactly the results we are going after with rice krispies treats. Take your time.
- Melt and mix in an over sized heavy duty pan. I used my beautiful Dutch oven that I picked up in Lidl for $20 but it looks like the one that sells for $200. Whatever one you have, now is the time to use that heavy pan.
- Sprinkles matter. I’ve experimented with lots of sprinkles and the Wilton Jimmies are the best for any recipe where sprinkles are mixed into the item. You can sprinkle anything on top, but when you mix the sprinkles in, most have a tendency to run. So if you want the rainbow joy throughout your treats, stick to the Wilton variety.
- Gently spread your bars evenly into your prepared pan. If you pack the mixture too much, they could end up dense. A softer touch will yield rice krispies treats that are pillowy and chewy. When we made them in the 80s, we loosely spread the mixture across a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, with no packing at all. That’s how I made this batch for today’s recipe.
More ideas for your fancy rice krispie treats:
- Finish them with a drizzle of melted white chocolate. I love my chocolate pot for this, and I always melt my white chocolate on the low setting. Stir in a splash of a vegetable oil to thin it out slightly.
- While the white chocolate drizzle is setting up, sprinkle a few more jimmies or sprinkles of your choice.
- Store uneaten treats in an air tight container on the counter top. If you want to slice them before putting them in the container, place pieces of parchment paper in between slices to keep them from sticking.
You might also like:
Fancy Rice Krispie Treats
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
A few choice add ins and we can elevate a 2nd grader’s favorite snack to a surprisingly delicious treat to be tucked into any grown up lunch box.
- 6 tbsp (86 grams) salted butter
- 15 oz (425 grams) Mini Marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups (175 grams) Frosted Rice Krispies
- 3 tbsp (50 grams) Sprinkles
- 3 ounces White Chocolate
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, on low or a medium low heat, slowly melt the butter.
- Add a full bag of mini marshmallows to the melted butter. Stir gently with a wooden spoon to coat the marshmallows with the butter. Keep the heat low, and stir frequently.
- Add the vanilla when the marshmallows have completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in the remaining marshmallows, the sprinkles and rice krispies.
- Turn out the mixture onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spread it gently. Not too thin, but not too thick. Don’t pack it too tight.
- Allow the rice krispies treats to set up for an hour or so, and then drizzle the melted white chocolate over top. Garnish with a few more colorful sprinkles.
Keywords: fancy rice krispie treats
Hi! I’m Pattymac
Sewist, Baker, Maker
I’m a creative lifestyle blogger living and working in Coastal Virginia. When I’m not mixing or stitching or taking pictures, I’m out exploring the cook book section of my favorite library or munching my own home baked cookies at a mid week movie matinee.