Say hello to S’mores Cookies, complete with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and gooey marshmallows.
Easy s’mores cookies are the perfect spin on your classic chocolate chip cookie with a little extra zing.
It’s August, and at the forefront of everybody’s mind right now are 3 little words.
Back. To. School.
At the time of writing this recipe post, it’s 2020. Everything is weird and who knows what back to school means anymore.
We know there is going to be school, but none of us knows what it will look like. And let’s be honest. It’s stressful to think about. Perfect time to binge s’mores cookies.
What could be better to soothe all those crazy emotions than a little bit of chocolate? Chocolate is supposed to stimulate the same brain receptors as love, so it’s only natural so many of us crave that rich, cocoa concoction when times are challenging.
The bonus with this recipe is that it’s a chocolate chip cookie dressed up to taste like a S’more. Remember S’mores? Chocolate, graham crackers and melty marshmallows? Only thing you need is a campfire. Unfortunately, there will probably be mosquitoes involved.
This version of a S’mores cookie is easily placed in a lunch box….oh wait this is still 2020. Let’s try this again. Enjoy this version of a S’mores cookie during an afternoon zoom history class.
No mosquitoes invited. And no campfire required. Because it’s 2020 and any campfire is quickly going to turn into a dumpster fire. Let’s not go there.
What are S’mores Cookies?
Bake your s’mores cookies with a yummy chocolate chip cookie base. We add butterscotch chips to the batter, and fold in a few mini marshmallows before baking.
As the cookie bakes, the marshmallows melt to give you the gooiest, chewiest, most delicious cookie.
Honestly, who needs a campfire?
What ingredients do you need make s’mores cookies?
First off, you’ll need all the basics for a chewy brown sugar cookie:
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
You’ll then need just three more ingredients to turn your normal cookies into s’mores:
- chocolate chips
- butterscotch chips
Simply combine, bake, and you’ve got yourself the perfect s’mores cookie recipe!
You might also like:
This chewy cookie spreads out when baked, so leave a little room on the baking sheet. There are no graham crackers in this recipe, so the cookie gets its campfire flavor from adding Butterscotch chips and mini marshmallows to the batter in addition to your favorite chocolate chip. There is heavy use of brown sugar in this cookie to give that chewy texture and caramelized flavor notes.
- 1 stick or 8 tbsp (115 grams) Butter
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (213 grams) brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coffee liquor (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups (270 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (170 grams) Butterscotch Chips
- 1 1/2 cups (250 grams) Chocolate Chips (I used semi sweet, but use your favorite)
- 1 1/2 cup (65 grams) mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars until well incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time. Incorporate well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and coffee liquor (liquor is optional). Mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt), and mix well in separate bowl.
- Turn off mixer and add dry ingredients to wet. Put mixer on slowest speed and mix until just combined.
- Turn off mixer and add chips and marshmallows. Put mixer on the slowest speed and mix until just combined.
- Drop in 1 tbsp mounds on prepped cookie sheet. (use parchment paper on the sheet to keep cookies from sticking and to make cleanup easier.)
- Bake freshly mixed dough for 12-15 minutes. If baking from frozen bake 17- 19 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
The Butterscotch chips combined with the marshmallows and extra brown sugar give this cookie it’s truly S’mores like taste. If you would like it even more s’mores like, place a few mini marshmallows on top of your baked cookie and toast with a kitchen torch. It will make it completely over the top, but is optional.
These cookies are EXTREMELY gooey. So, let them rest on the pan after baking for about 20 minutes. Then move them over to a wire rack to set up at least 30 minutes. Over night is best, but after letting them have that 50 minutes to set up, they will hold together. If you just can’t wait, and believe me, I understand, put the hot gooey cookie on top of a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s amazing!!!
For best results in storage, stack them on top each other in a reusable plastic storage container placing sheets of parchment in between each cookie. The more humid it is, the more these cookies will stick.
For best results, scoop the cookie dough onto a pan and refrigerate for an hour, but overnight is best. Back them on a different pan lined with parchment that is room temperature.
Keywords: s’mores cookies
Hi! I’m Patty
Sewist, Baker, Maker
I love figuring out new ways to use pom poms, where I can stash more fabric, and I’m always wondering what to bake next…chocolate or lemon? When not dreaming up new things to make (or bake), I love riding my beach cruiser on the Boardwalk, enjoying classic movies, and planting new things in my tiny but mighty container garden.