To make all in one cupcakes, you simply add everything to the mixing bowl at one time. Yup. It all goes in at one time. Hence the name.
No, you are not dreaming. Yes, you heard that right. All in One Cupcakes are exactly what the names says.
To make these cupcakes, everything gets mixed at one time. Yes it is that easy. And yes it is also that easy to mess the whole thing up. To get these right, your measurements and your mixing must be perfect
I first learned about this method of baking watching the Great British Bake Off. The most famous English bake that uses the all in one method is the Victoria Sandwich. The English use this style of mixing in a lot of their cake recipes.
I found this cupcake recipe on youtube from one of my favorite channels, Cupcake Jemma. She mixes all of her cupcakes like this, and I set out to try them myself.
What I learned is that not only is the measuring critical, so is the mixing and the temperature of your butter.
As I shared with you in my Easy Homemade Frosting recipe, getting your butter temperature spot on is critical in baking. And it’s extremely important to get it right in this cupcake recipe.
For this recipe to succeed, your ingredients must all be room temperature, and you must measure your ingredients using a scale. It’s the only way to get this right. Like the Victoria Sandwich, each main ingredient is measured at the same weight.
There is no way to get this right using cups.
I have a thorough post with a video to teach you exactly how to use a food scale in your baking, so I encourage you to go over that first. Using the scale and converting to grams has been the best thing I’ve ever done to improve my baking. It’s very easy to do, and I can’t encourage you enough to make the switch.
This recipe is not the time to improvise or throw some things in a bowl and walk away. It makes a small batch, and every ingredient and technique is critical to get right.
The challenge of creating perfection from just a handful of ingredients is like magic to me.
Hopefully it’s magical to you as well and you will give these very British cupcakes the good ole American try.
- Bake 6″ layer cakes using cake mix
- How to properly prep your cake pans
- My original Cake Mix Hack Recipe
- How to make American Buttercream Frosting
All In One Cupcakes
All in one cupcakes, a very British way of baking.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 18
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: British
- 125 grams flour
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 125 grams room temperature butter
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1.5 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 338 degrees.
- Place the first 4 ingredients into a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Mix on medium high for 90 seconds. Scrape down the bowl about half way through.
- Put mixer on low speed and add cream and vanilla.
- Return mixer to medium for 30 seconds.
- Scoop into prepared cupcake tin and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Use the spring back method to judge doneness. Don’t over bake.
- Room temperature butter is between 67 and 68 degrees. I check mine with an instant read thermometer.
- The original recipe is baked at 170C which translates to 338 degrees.
- The temperature of your butter is absolutely critical to get right here. If it’s too hard, you will not have 12 cupcakes, and if it’s too warm your cupcakes will be greasy. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes exactly, so if you come up short, you know your butter was too cold.
- The mixing times are really fast. Set a timer so you don’t over mix.
Hi there, I’m Patty.
Baker, Sewist, Maker
I love figuring out new ways to use pom poms, where I can stash more fabric, and I’m always wondering what to bake next…chocolate or lemon? When not dreaming up new things to make (or bake), I love riding my beach cruiser on the Boardwalk, escaping to mid week movie matinees, and planting new things in my tiny but mighty container garden.