We bake for our families. We bake for friends and neighbors. So why not bake for dogs? If anything on this planet is bake worthy, it’s a dog. Let me show you how to bake my dog’s favorite snack, with a sweet potato dog treats recipe.
I started baking for my best fur friend when he developed some skin conditions. It turns out, the commercial dog treats were not really good for him. So I started looking at recipes to bake for him. Because who could resist this face? I learned that sweet potatoes are really good for dogs, so baking sweet potato dog treats seemed like the perfect dog recipe.
Meet my beloved dog, Willie. Willie came to me via a Golden Retriever rescue group, and he had been terribly neglected. I will never understand it, because he was the nicest dog I’ve ever known. He’s been gone for 4 years now, and I still miss him every day.
As is the case with most Golden Retrievers, Willie was extremely food motivated. When it came time to participate in dog training classes, we needed training treats. We started with commercial treats, and pretty early on, they started to give him skin irritation. That’s when I started baking him his very favorite Sweet Potato Dog Treats.
So here’s a true confession. I do not know how to make the dog treats look good. Any dog recipe I’ve ever baked looks kind of like this. I think it’s because the ratio of dry ingredients and sugar and fat are different than in human cookies and muffins. People with professional Barkeries have beautiful stuff, but I don’t know how they do it. Fortunately for us, dogs are not as picky as humans and will love these treats AND YOU no matter how they look.
My version of Sweet Potato Dog Treats may not be beautiful to look at, but you know what’s in them. And they come from your heart. Dogs know that and will appreciate them regardless of how gloppy the treats come out.
Definitely bake Sweet Potato Dog treats. It’s a way to deepen your bond, and take extra special care of these precious creatures who are not here nearly long enough.
If you have any questions, just send me a note! I would love to hear about your doggy baking adventure! Give your fur baby and an extra treat and hug for me.
What goes into Sweet Potato Dog Treats?
- Oat flour: Great for dog treats
- Cinnamon: only a dash for great flavor
- Applesauce: dogs love applesauce
- Canned organic sweet potatoes (not yams) or canned pumpkin: be sure to get the plain variety and the sweetened yams.
- Honey: optional but dogs love a sweet treat as much as we do
Today’s post and recipe is dedicated to the best friend I ever had. These photos are the last photos I got to take of Willie, and they mean so much to me. I hope they make you smile, even if it is through a misty eye. And I do hope you bake Willie’s very favorite recipe for your dog.
You Might Also Like:
- Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- Delicious Vanilla Cake
- American Buttercream Frosting
- My favorite base for Muffins
Sweet Potato Dog Treats Recipe
Sweet Potato Dog Treats are mixed with the same ingredients used in any human recipe. So go ahead and try them out. They are yummy
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 17
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 26 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp applesauce
- 1 cup canned organic sweet potatoes (not yams) or canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup water
- Generous squirt of honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Beat the egg with the applesauce, canned sweet potatoes, and water.
- Squirt in the honey and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients, and gently mix until blended.
- Drop on parchment lined cookie sheets. These cookies don’t spread, so you can put them close together.
- Dip fork tines in flour and gently press the cookies flat, much like making peanut butter cookies.
- Bake 17-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before treating your dog so they don’t burn their mouths.
- Store in ziplock bags or another air tight container for up to 1 week.
Dogs love when you bake for them! I baked special treats for my doggy often and they were always his favorite thing. If you haven’t tried baking for your dog, then sweet potato dog treats are the perfect way to start.
Keywords: Sweet Potato Dog Treats Recipe
Hi! I’m Pattymac.
Sewist, Baker, Maker
I love figuring out new ways to use pom poms, where I can stash more fabric, and I’m always wondering what to bake next…chocolate or lemon? When not dreaming up new things to make (or bake), I love riding my beach cruiser on the Boardwalk, enjoying classic movies, and planting new things in my tiny but mighty container garden.